Monday, February 1, 2010

Do we really worship One God?

One of the main attacks against Christianity is we really worship more than one God. The accusations state we are poly-theistic, or many god-worshipping.

Nothing could be further from the truth, yet it can be difficult to adequately explain in terms non-believers can understand and believe.

Many attempts have been made to equate the three personalities of God (God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit) in more pragmatic terms, like water, ice and steam. While the water molecule remains the same, the principle properties remain the same.

At first glance, this seems like a fair comparison, however, when you consider all three cannot exist at the same time (with the same sample of water), and all phases of water must go through some means of change. Without getting too scientific, the water molecule becomes slightly more displaced in ice than in water (this is what givers ice buoyancy), and very rarified or spaced apart in steam (which is why steam appears like a cloud and lifts up into the atmosphere).

So really, not a great example afterall. What to do?

It occurred to me one day the same question could be posed in every home in the world with a family. Surely, most people do not have 3 distinct men living in a traditional family (husband, wife, children) do they?

Absolutely not. However, there are 3 distinct personalities of a man living in my home.

First, I am my parent's son. This characteristic exhibits certain traits of me and a certain relationship with my parents. This is my first personality because it is the one with which I have the most experience. After all, I was their child first.

Secondly, I am my wife's husband. This is a totally different type of love and commitment than from my parents. Our relationship is much closer and intimate than that of my parents, as it should be. Our love is demonstrated differently, and we have a different love for each other. We would do different things for the other depending on the circumstances. For example, I would give my life for my wife and children, while I would be hard-pressed to do the same for my parents. Not out of selfishness, but because it is the parent's job to protect the child.

Lastly, I am the parent of my children. Again, a different love and different values attached to the relationship I enjoy with my children. The protector, teacher, spiritual leader, provider and foster of the house hold. This form of love is without values or conditions attached. It is unmitigated, unselfish love and a willingness to do anything to help them.

To a greater degree, God is willing to do anything to help US, even sacrificing his own Son for our sins, so His love is even greater than anything you and I can comprehend. All we can do is praise Him, accept the gift for what it is and be prepared to set the record straight when a non-believer accuses us of following more than one God.

No comments: